Monday, 14 September 2015

The Baldock Sandwich Bar

The Baldock Sandwich Bar

Eating crisp edged salty bacon,
with baguette bread.
Eating half melted penguin bars.
Eating the slightly stale salt and vinegar crisps.
Drinking the chilled rimmed 7-Up
with the cold condensated can.
But, I love it.

Hearing the soft whistle of the boiling kettle,
with the semi-rusted body.
Hearing the sizzling sound of the stove
whilst it's cooking bacon
Hearing the gentle 'hum' of the drink refrigerator
with the condensation running down the glass screen door.
But, I love it.

Seeing the old man come in for his morning coffee
at the same time every morning; 7:30.
Seeing my nan behind the counter with Mary
the owner
Seeing the workman walk past the build, heading to the train station
all suited and booted.
Seeing the smoke rise above and glide across the roof
until dispersed out the window.
Seeing the crisp crumbs spread over the cutting board,
on the old fashioned side.
But, I love it.

Smelling the heavenly smell of the beloved bacon
as it filled the air.
Smelling the fresh air bluster in through the gaps in the window.
Smelling the sweet smell of hot chocolate
But, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment